The process for creating blog posts for this site with Pelican is working pretty good. However, once the site was generated, the process was to launch my favorite FTP application, Filezilla. Then connect to the can of worms site and copy the content to the server.

That is rather a manual process... so, there's got to be an easier way!

When I set up Pelican, it created a "make" file that automates a lot of actions. You can find documentation about the make command on the Pelican site.

Typing the make command in the terminal reveals some of the power buried inside.

$ make
Makefile for a pelican Web site

Usage:
   make html                           (re)generate the web site
   make clean                          remove the generated files
   make regenerate                     regenerate files upon modification
   make publish                        generate using production settings
   make serve [PORT=8000]              serve site at http://localhost:8000
   make serve-global [SERVER=0.0.0.0]  serve (as root) to :80
   make devserver [PORT=8000]          start/restart develop_server.sh
   make stopserver                     stop local server
   make ssh_upload                     upload the web site via SSH
   make rsync_upload                   upload the web site via rsync+ssh
   make dropbox_upload                 upload the web site via Dropbox
   make ftp_upload                     upload the web site via FTP
   make s3_upload                      upload the web site via S3
   make cf_upload                      upload the web site via Cloud Files
   make github                         upload the web site via gh-pages

Set the DEBUG variable to 1 to enable debugging, e.g. make DEBUG=1 html
Set the RELATIVE variable to 1 to enable relative urls

ftp_upload sounds like just the thing I need!

So, opened the make file in my editor and filled out some FTP variables at the top of the file that need to be set.

  • FTP_HOST=
  • FTP_USER=
  • FTP_TARGET_DIR=

Then I tried running the command:

make ftp_upload

It started well, prompted for my password, but then FAILED with this error.

Fatal error: Certificate verification: certificate common name doesn't match requested host name

The key part of the make file is actually running the lftp command:

lftp ftp://$(FTP_USER)@$(FTP_HOST) -e "mirror -R $(OUTPUTDIR) $(FTP_TARGET_DIR) ; quit"

Back to the internet to learn more about lftp and to search for the error. This github site provided the clue I needed where "Arkham" suggested using the command set ssl:verify-certificate no

Tried this manually and it did the trick. Turns out you can add the set ssl:verify-certificate no command to a ~/.lftprc file. Then when I ran the make ftp_upload command, it worked like a champ.

I notice that the lftp command runs slower than using Filezilla to upload the files. But, since I can just run the command and walk away, that is a big advantage.